to Genetic Improvement
the Ideal Ewe
Therapy for A.I.
Shepherd Instructions and Requirments for AIing
THERAPY FOR A.I.
Martin R. Dally
Super Sire, Ltd.
UPDATED FOR FALL 2017
Prior to beginning hormone therapy, ewes
should be in excellent condition - shorn if necessary, feet
trimmed, and with immunization and worming programs up to
DETERMINING PMS-G LEVEL
There are several factors that determine
the number of international units (iu) of PMS-G to administer:
- Higher levels of PMS-G are given when out-of-season breeding
is performed. Normally, the level is decreased as the breeding
season advances. For example, Suffolk ewes being inseminated
in July may need 750 iu, and the same ewe being inseminated
in October may require only 300 iu.
AGE OF EWES
- Maiden ewes are normally given 50 iu more than mature
- As body weight increases the PMS-G level is normally increased.
When weight differences within a group of ewes differ more
than 50 pounds, the larger body size ewes may require higher
levels of hormone.
- Highly prolific breeds such
as Finn Sheep and East Friesians require less PMS-G than
breeds with low prolificacy.
DESIRED PROLIFICACY LEVEL
- If multiple births (triplets and/or quads) are desired
the PMS-G level can be increased.
^ top ^